The National Women’s Month Celebration (NWMC) every March is part of the worldwide observance of the International Women’s Day (IWD). The following policies support the celebration:
Proclamation No. 224, s. 1998 Declaring the first week of March each year as Women’s Week and March 8 as Women’s Rights and International Peace Day
Proclamation No. 227, s. 1998 Providing for the Observance of the Month of March as Women’s Role in History Month
Republic Act No. 6949, s. 1990 Declaring March 8 of every year as National Women’s Day
In 2017, the PCW Board Members and Inter-Agency Technical Working Group identified the NWMC theme “We Make Change Work for Women” to be used from 2017-2022. The theme highlights the empowerment of women as active contributors to and claimholders of development. This pursuit of development is also anchored on the commitment of “Malasakit at Pagbabago” or True Compassion and Real Change.
The theme also emphasizes that women should be active drivers in bringing about positive changes, and that they should also reap from the fruits of development efforts. This can be made possible by empowering women—enabling them to meaningfully engage with other development stakeholders, and having them benefit from the implementation of the Magna Carta of Women.
Objectives and Activities:
1. INFORM AND ENGAGE women as stakeholders of government programs and services to promote citizen-centric governance and make “change” a conscious effort to know, understand, and provide what all citizens need.
• Production and distribution of IEC Materials
• Serbisyo Para Kay Juana (March 8 per discretion of sponsoring agency)
• National Women’s Month Photo and Poster-Making Contest (March 1-31)
2. CREATE AND FACILITATE platforms to discuss good practices, gaps, challenges, and commitments in pursuing gender and development (GAD) to strengthen implementation of the Magna Carta of Women
• Announcement of National Women’s Month Celebration during Flag Raising Ceremonies
• Certification of GAD Local Learning Hubs
3. INSPIRE AND EMPOWER women and girls to be agents of change to contribute in promoting gender equality and the empowerment of all women.
• We Make Change: Women Inspiring Women Series (March 8, 15, and 22)
• Online Advocacy: #JuanaSays (March 1-31)
• CineJuana Film Festival